Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Would You Like a Coffe Card?

I can't function during the work week without my coffee. It's decaf coffe, but I still need it.

Now, I have a purse. I love this purse. C bought it for me at Christmas time, and it's the nicest item of accessory I've ever owned. It's perfect in every way. But there's one thing it can't do for me - and that is organize me. I will forever dig in my purse for my wallet, sunglasses, keys, chapstick - and I will forever, instead, find in my hand gum wrappers, receipts, business cards, way-ward change that has escaped the wallet, paper clips, surprise office supplies, stickie notes, empty film canisters and any other un-needed object that I've collected.

Which brings me to the COFFEE CARD.

The coffee place I go to knows me by now. They promptly hand over my large decaf without even asking. It used to be just the one employee, but now all of them have learned my order. I love the fact that I really don't have to speak anymore before I get my coffee whistle*.

The thing that kills me though, is EVERY TIME they ask me if I want a coffee card (buy 9 get the 10th one free). Not wanting to waste time, paper or space in my purse - I always say "Thank you but no, I'll just lose it."

The next day: "Would you like a coffee card?" "Thank you but no, I'll just lose it." Repeat until I retire.

I understand that there are secret shoppers out there, and that the people helping me are told that they must ask if someone wants a coffee card. I find it totally irritating - and as evidenced here - apparently I'm unable to let it go.

And, the 10th cup of coffee that's free isn't even the same size as what I normally get! It's a small. There's no way I'm going with a small, free or not.

There was a gas station near my old house that I would go to for my coffee. Same friggin thing with them. "Would you like a coffee card?" At one point I got so tired of fighting it I just started taking them and throwing them in the trash bin on my way out. Sometimes though, I'd have my hands full so guess where the card ended up?

That's right. Floating around in the soup of disorganization that I cook in my purse. I already have to go through 4 or 5 tries to get something I need out of there. I'd rather not consciously add to it.

So there you are, corporate gimmick creators of the coffee world, I DON'T WANT A COFFEE CARD! Furthermore, I'd be a lot more loyal to your company if you would instruct your employees to STOP ASKING ME IF I WANT ONE.

*C dubbed my cup of coffee to go "Coffee Whistle" because I tend to mindlessly blow in the lid while fixed staring off into space, creating an apparently nick-nameable noise.

No comments: